Adding a fence is not a critically required part of pool building. However, if you have kids and pets, you should definitely consider installing a secured fence around your Myrtle Beach swimming pool. A secured fence is an effective barrier between very curious kids and pets and your swimming pool. It effectively wards the children and your fur babies from wandering and playing at the pool side, which is dangerous and could lead to emergencies.
In some states, adding a fence is required by local laws and standards in pool building. Some insurance companies also include having a secured fence installed around the swimming pool as part of their requirements. There are no rules or standard procedures to follow in installing a pool fence. Basically, what you have to remember is if you have small kids and pets, you definitely need a secured pool fence. If you don’t have kids or pets, confirm with local and state laws as well as with your insurance provider if a pool fence is required.
Since there are no standards to follow when it comes to installing a pool fence, below is a list of secured fence features recommended by Myrtle Beach pool building professionals.
- Height should be at least 4 feet. It can be taller, depending on your personal preferences.
- The pool fence should be sturdy enough and make it difficult for children to climb.
- If you have kids and pets, opt for permanent fencing as it is more durable than other types of pool fence.
- Pool fences should open outward and away from the pool area and should be self-closing and self-latching to improve safety and efficiency.
- You can choose from a wide variety of materials for your pool fence: wood, vinyl, and aluminum. Choose the material that will not get damaged easily depending on your local weather and how frequently you will use your swimming pool.
There are three types of pool fences most commonly installed according to pool building professionals.
- Removable mesh – This type of pool fence is easy to install and remove. It is made from a transparent material approved by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Make sure you meet the requirements of ASTM as well as the standards set by the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals.
- Vertical bar – Different types of materials can be used for vertical bar fencing. You can opt to use wood, wrought iron, aluminum or vinyl. Although there is no fixed standard nationally, most states require the space between the vertical bars to be a maximum of 4 inches wide.
- Glass panel – This type of pool fencing is made from tempered glass, making them the most durable and safest type of pool fencing. This is the best fence to choose if you have an attractive pool area. They are made from transparent material so as not to put your pool’s beauty to waste.
Want to add a fence in your pool building? Contact Russell Cooper Pools now.
Your professional pool building partners.